What NOT to Say

New Life OutlookNew Life Outlook New Life Outlook
edited April 2015 in Coping

Bipolar article: What NOT to SayWhat NOT to Say

Bipolar disorder is hard enough to cope with as it is without taking into account the ignorance of others. Here's what not to say to someone with bipolar.

Read the full story here

Comments

• I hate it when my boss tells me daily not to forget to take my meds.
  • DeeDee Member
    edited October 2016
    I think statements like "Don't worry about what others are saying about you." And " No one is gonna change what they say to suit you". As mentioned in the comments previous comments are not only rude but wrong. Americans, especially employers have people in their companies specifically to teach them how to speak to their employees. There are words in this country avoided because those words are hurtful like slavery, negro, dike. I could go on. And I'd also like to add, to tell someone that is being called names or spoken to in a way that can trigger an illness in them that they shouldn't be worried abt what other say and to just worry abt them selves has obviously had no one they loved or has personally suffered this illness. You'd know and understand the kind of pain that it causes to be judged and devalued. For anyone, but especially those that feel life in 2 extremes.
    I think statements like "Don't worry about what others are saying about you." And " No one is gonna change what they say to suit you". As mentioned in the comments previous comments are not only rude but wrong. Americans, especially employers have people in their companies specifically to teach them how to speak to their employees. There are words in this country avoided because those words are hurtful like slavery, negro, dike. I could go on. And I'd also like to add, to tell someone that is being called names or spoken to in a way that can trigger an illness in them that they shouldn't be worried abt what other say and to just worry abt them selves has obviously had no one they loved or has personally suffered this illness. You'd know and understand the kind of pain that it causes to be judged and devalued. For anyone, but especially those that feel life in 2 extremes.
  • I find that people are umsually so flummoxed when you tell them that they don't have a clue what to say so it's always nice when someone with experience (friends, relatives of those who have BP) because you can compare notes and not get too anxious about discussing your symptoms. Anxiety and being open and honest doesn't always work but I think it's the best place to start. If try someone says something, you can either and educate them or simply ignore them. Those who know, help and those that don't either learn or remain ignorant.
  • Well I have Bipolar just don't know what type and my family treats me like a out cast My mom all ways said well if it makes you feel better hit me I said mom please don't say that she would come back and make faces at me it seemed it made my feelings hurt worse
  • This was a very enlightening article. My daughter suffered with bi-polar disease and passed away 16 months ago I watched her cycle sometimes several times a week, and sometimes every 5 or 6 weeks, and on occasion daily. Bi-polar disease has no boundaries or definitive lines and cannot be felt by outsiders. Thank you for the article.
  • I am sorry the author thinks asking whether someone is managing their meds is insulting. She admitted that she can be delusional at times and say she IS managing them just fine when CLEARLY her behaviour obviously indicate otherwise.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our Newsletter

New Life Outlook on FacebookSubscribe with Facebook

OR