Bipolar in the workforce

mbhchcimbhchci Member
I have noticed that most days, I love getting up and going to work. I do good work. I am well respected in my field and I really have a lot of energy to get the job done. I get assigned good projects. People trust that I will get the job done. I take great pride in that.... and then,... depression... the "crash", as I call it. One day, I am up at 5am getting my day started and often get to work early, the next, I lay there, dreading the sun's rising. My blanket feels to be about 500 pounds. My chest is empty, yet it hurts. My stomach is in knots. I am afraid to leave my home, afraid to even hear my bosses voice on the phone if I call in,... so I text the boss and lay there, feeling guilty, worrying if this is the call-in that will get me fired. The people that counted on me and trusted on me are having to take on the projects that I was so excited to complete... and I feel more guilt and anxiety. When this episode begins to subside, I wake up at the last minute and drive to work, afraid to face anyone and dreading the arrival of the boss and the inevitable "talk". I go through the motions and try to get as much done as possible before getting called into the bosses office. My heart sinks when he finally comes in and says, "Can I see you in the office for a minute". I get another chance but no more call-ins. I feel OK so it seems like I can do it. BUT... what happens when the "crash" happens again?
Have you ever experienced the same thing? I am still exploring how I will deal with the next time, as I know it will come. I am collecting ideas and would welcome yours. I have an accountability phone call that a good friend gives me in the mornings and that friend will encourage me if I am tempted to just give up and call-in. I am eating right and keeping my mood chart and my journal. I have joined this site and am excited about the resources. I will be sharing any good ideas I receive here in this discussion, but again, I do welcome yours as well.
Mike

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our Newsletter

New Life Outlook on FacebookSubscribe with Facebook

OR